Photobucket

Sunday, January 10, 2010

New Self Discoveries

I keep finding out new things about myself that I never knew!  For example, while at choir rehearsal on Thursday, we sang some songs that I had never seen before.  The director had us sing through the songs once, during which I stumbled along, then we'd sing it again.  My discovery is that if I stumble through a song the first time, I nail it the second time.  I may not know the words, but I can hit the notes almost perfectly.  I do have parts that may need work, but mostly, I can give a good performance.


I made a really fantastic discovery today, as well.  After church, I babysat for 10 children.  (Originally, there were supposed to be five, but hey, the more the scarier... uh... I mean, merrier!... JUST KIDDING!).  I felt a bit overwhelmed at first, but remembered that I took care of nine children, one Sunday night, so I remembered how I handled that situation (extreme panic at first), and channelled the minor "tricks" that got me through it.  The big thing was keeping a head count at frequent incriments.  Four sets of parents were trusting ME to care for their children and keep them safe, that is a huge honor for me, and I will do everything I can not to let them down.  Keeping a level head is key!

My discovery was learning that I can stay calm under pressure.  Throughout the afternoon, the kids and I all moved between two rooms (one big one, one smaller one, accross the hall from each other, at the church), and as I was coming back into the big room, I heard two voices arguing over why someone threw a stuffed dog into the face of another.  My first task was to figured out who hit who and why.  I looked around at everyone and found one of the older girls (10, I think) had been hit in the face by her brother's stuffed dog (he's 7, I think). 

I figured this was a great time to practice my "child guiding" in a room with a bunch of kids.  I had each one tell their side of the story (she was chasing him and he didn't want her to, so the threw the doll in her face, hitting her open eyes in the process).  Quick background here:  these two kids are also in my Sunday night childcare thing.  So I asked the little boy, "you're usually in the room with me on Sunday nights.  What is my biggest rule when you're there?"  His response, "don't throw blocks?"  Me, "Don't throw ANYTHING!"  I told him if he couldn't play with the stuffed animal responsibly, then I would have to take it until his parents came to pick him up.  I had him apologize to his sister PROPERLY, before letting him continue playing.

I preceeded to comfort the girl and told her to get some water, and when she came back, I check to make sure she was ok.  She sat beside me until she felt better, then she rejoined the games :)


I also got another wonderful compliment today, from a 4andahalf year old girl.  She was half asleep in my lap when she looked up at me and asked if I ever babysat for any of the kids there, and I told her who all I sat for, and her response was, "what about me?"  It made me feel good inside :)  I told her that I would love to sit for her!  When her mom came to pick her up, even before the girl said anything to her, she asked if I babysat.  Just like that, I had my name out to someone else!  The little girl got excited and said, "You're so nice!" to me.

Everytime a child tells me I'm nice, it makes me happy :)  It makes me love childcare even more!

No comments: