Photobucket

Friday, September 11, 2009

Nonnie update

She's holding on. The Doctor told mom it will still be a couple of days before she passes.

Last night, Nonnie had two male nurses watching over her. One of them came in the room and had a good conversation with my mom about death and spirituality. He told her that he has seen this type of scene many times since he became a nurse, and that when he walks in a room, he can tell if God is present in the room or not. He said that as soon as he came in Nonnie's room, he immediately felt God. Nonnie keeps reaching out when her eyes are open, and the nurse thinks she may be reaching out to angels that have surrounded her bed. He said there is no real way to know what she is seeing or feeling, but that he felt a very strong presence of God.

Those of you who know my grandmother know she wasn't religious. It has only been in the last few weeks/months that she has begun to allow people to pray with her. It's as though she knew this was coming, and wanted to make peace with God first.


I have told my friends not to come see her at the hospital. She is very weak and the way she is looking/acting is unlike the Nonnie everyone knew and loved. To those who know my grandmother, I want you to remember her as the mean old woman in the basement who played nintendo all the time :) (our basement is actually an apartment-type floor).

Mom and I still think Daddy is trying to make a deal with God to keep Nonnie down her a bit longer... I mean, come on, he JUST got rid of her! He needs HIS alone time first! haha (If you don't know us, you may not find that funny, but it has me and my friends laughing)

I'm getting ready to pick up around the house some and head to the hospital. Chuck will be flying in this afternoon. He's struggling with this, and really wants to be with his mother and sister (and his favorite/only niece). I'm holding up ok, it's just going very slowly, which sucks. I mean, don't take this the wrong way, but the doc says she's going to die, so why can't we just rip the band-aid off quickly, instead of letting it drag out and hurt us more, do you get the metaphor?

*sigh* I hate this :(

No comments: