You know what I love? The fact that my family loves Travis, and that (as far as I know), Trav's family likes me. I hear "horror stories" about mothers who strongly dislike their son's girlfriend/wife. I hear about parents who criticise their child's SO (significant other). I see all of these problems that others have with their in-laws or family of their bf, and I keep wondering HOW DID I GET SO LUCKY???? I love Trav's mom, and I'm pretty sure she likes me, as well. Shoot, she stops by to see me (or mostly my MOM) whenever she's in our area, and I really think she and Mom are becoming friends... granted, they do have a couple of very drastic things in common. (Mrs. Phifer lost her husband about 5 yrs ago in about the same way Mom lost Daddy, plus her mother is in poor health, as Nonnie was before she died.)
I remember one day I had to work while Nonnie was in the hospital, and even though Travis wasn't at the hospital (mom stayed with Nonnie until the end), Mrs. Phifer took the time to drive over and visit with Mom. Mom told me that Mrs. P sat beside Nonnie, stroked her hair, and just spoke sweetly to her, while also giving mom encouragement.
A few weeks after Nonnie's death, mom and I were invited to Trav's cousin's baby shower (if you're reading this, HI ERIN! NOT MUCH LONGER!!!). Travis had to work that day, but I still wanted to go, and so did Mom, so Trav's younger brother and his now-fiance came and picked us up for the shower. I was a little nervous, bc this was the first time I had been to his Aunt's house and around his cousins without Travis being present. But the family greeted me and Mom and we all had fun!
At one point, however, Trav's aunt's dog began to get ill. Her breathing was shallow and she wasn't eating or drinking anything, and even though it was a dog, it still brought back memories of when Daddy passed. As T's cousins prepared to take the dog to a vet, Mrs. Phifer walked over to me, put her arm around me and asked if I was ok. I put my head on her shoulder and had a couple of tears, but that was the extent of it. The simple fact that she could see how sad it made me was very special and made me feel good inside.
I say it often, but I'll say it again... I am a VERY lucky girl. Yeah, I've had a rough go the last few months, and I would give anything to have my dad and grandmother back, but what makes me feel lucky are the people I still have with me. I'm lucky to have an amazing family (can't wait to see ya'll over Thanksgiving... though the circumstances aren't favorable) who have surrounded me and my mom with love this past year, I'm lucky to have Trav's family who also show me nothing but love and kindness, I'm lucky to be able to persue a career that I love so much, I'm especially lucky to have my friends, and I'm lucky to have the greatest man (besides my dad) as my love. Travis is still doing so much for us. He's amazing and I love him with all my heart...
Farewell Charles Wesley Sanders Jr.
8 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment