Photobucket

Monday, December 21, 2009

Family Day

On December 20, 1983... Leigh and Robert Pennington went to meet their new child, a daughter to be named Jessica, only 5 weeks old. They spent the day together, getting to know each other and experiencing what would be the first day of the rest of their lives.

On December 21, 1983... Leigh and Robert brought their babygirl home in a little red Christmas stocking. Jessica Leigh P. became the final piece of the puzzle in what was the most amazing family ever. Leigh couldn't have children. She and her husband wanted a baby more than anything in the world. This day, 26 years ago, I came to them as their baby, and made the Pennington family, well... a family.

This year, there is a strong air of sadness. This is our first family birthday without my Daddy. I've been dreading it, but for some reason, I feel ok. Last year, the three of us gathered around an old boom box of mine and listened to a recording made the day they met me. I got to hear the first time my parents held me and fed me. They loved me already, and they were so excited to start their new life with me. At the end of the tape, Mom, Dad, and I all hugged and exchanged "I love you's"... I didn't know it, that this would be the last family day we would ever have as a family...

I miss my Daddy so damn much... He was taken away from us too soon!

No comments: