Photobucket

Friday, April 17, 2009

Daddy Update

This is an e-mail my mom sent out to our family and friends today. I thought I'd share it with ya'll.

I guess I am past due for an update...We were lucky enough to spend Easter weekend at the beach. The ride was rough on Robert and he stayed in bed most of the time. He tried going out on the deck but became chilly even though it was a beautiful sunny day. At least once he got into the house, he didn't have to go up and down the stairs like at home.

The day we left for the beach we saw RP's surgeon. He basically said,"I've done all I can do for you." He prescribed megace, a Rx given to chemo patients to increase the appetite. His weight has dropped to 137 fully dressed. Since we have not seen the ocean in 6 months, we immediately left for the beach with Mother, Jessica, Travis, 2 dogs, and 2 cats. ( What a zoo!) I could not have done this without the help of Jessica and her boyfriend. It was hard on RP but, I think the change in scenery was good for all of us.

We returned on Sunday to ready for his Monday appointment with the new pulmonologist, Scott Linblom. We greeted him as the "the miracle worker", putting fun-loving pressure on him for answers. In the end he said that we could only work on one of the many issues at a time. First we get him stronger with nutrition, physical therapy, and pulmonary rehab. He is to eat 5 small meals a day with as much protein as possible. We are to forget about cholesterol and fats and sock it to him. (If you have ideas, recipes, or suggestions, they are welcomed...rich in protein...meat, eggs, cheese, etc.) Dr. Lindblom will evaluate all of RP's records, tests, and notes from other drs.while we do our homework of therapy, nutrition, and draining of his right lung...(yes that is still going on and has become very painful...wiping him out for about an hour afterwards.) We meet with Dr. Linblom in May to reevaluate Robert's condition and decide if further surgeries are needed and get the plan of attack.

I have been so remiss in my thank you notes; for this I am very sorry. As many of you know Robert has a sooooo many friends that love him and have been looking after us. We couldn't have made it through this ordeal without you. From food, flowers, cards, phone calls of encouragement, prayers, and emails...these have kept us strong. You have made a difference in our lives. I really don't like email thank yous but right now it will have to do. Please know that we are extremely grateful to have you for friends, neighbors, and family.

Leigh

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

I think it sound like a really reasonable plan to try and tackle the nutrition aspect first. Your nutrition is really the base to your immune system, and it sounds like he can use the strongest immune system he can get.

Hang in there, Dad, & good job, family! =)