Photobucket

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

So... a nurse?

So, I've sort of taken on the role of the nurse of my house. When daddy had to be on IV meds back in November, I was the one who administered (sp) his meds into his pick line. It was routine, almost. I would clean the line, insert the IV connector, disconnect it when he was finished, cleaned the line, and bandage him back up.

Throughout that time, mom would say I should have been a nurse. I even began to say that I went into "nurse mode" whenever it was time to do his IV.

So now that Daddy has to be drained everyday, I'm back to being a nurse, and mom is still saying I should have been a nurse. I guess it would make sense, because I love helping others. I think I would be able to get over the whole taking blood or giving shots thing, but I've already invested so much time in working with children, so I don't know if I could actually take the time to become a nurse.

I mean, I know I'm smart, and I am extremely compassionate towards others, but there's a part of me that doesn't think I could do it... Oh I don't know... I do like the thought of being an actual nurse, not just "playing" one to help Dad... Hell, I busted out my nursing "skills" in my Music and Movement class when one of my classmates fell and hurt herself... I stayed super calm and was able to clean her up and even bandage her (yeah I had leftover gauze packets from when I got my wisdom teeth out a month and a half ago)!

Who knows. Maybe one day I will gain the confidence to go to nursing school, but for now I'll settle for helping Dad with his medical needs.

I just wanted to get that out.

No comments: