Photobucket

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Difficult Day, yesterday

Dad had a rough day yesterday. He wasn't speaking clearly, he could hear well, he could barely walk, and he had almost no memory. He didn't even remember eating breakfast!!! Mom and I were very worried last night. He was having a very hard time waking up... we had to practically DRAG him downstairs, and it took almost 10 minutes to move Dad down. He fell once (onto his bed, luckily), and is almost afraid to walk around, though he's sticking with it.

We gave him the day off from draining. Mom and I decided he was too weak and we didn't drain his lung.

I did find out that he forgot to take his morning meds yesterday, so I'm attributing his "bad day" to not having his meds.

He's doing much much better today. He is still struggling to walk, and it now takes 15 minutes to get from the den to his bed, upstairs. Either my mom or I have to be behind him when he goes up the steps, and I always brace myself in case he falls. He has fallen twice coming DOWN the stairs, and he landed on his butt both times.

He STILL has a small sense of humor... it's going away very fast, though. He's just so tired and he can't breathe, and mom and I are so scared.

Another bit of good news is that his appatite is returning!!!!! The new medicine he was given is working :) He's eating more, which is AWESOME!

Travis has been amazing. I told him about Dad's behavior yesterday, and Trav said, "well, is he drunk?" (cause that's what dad acted like)... Trav then told me that his dad had a moment like this when he was sick, and the Docs thought it was low levels of electrolytes, so I went and got dad some gatorade... it seemed to help a little.

On a lighter note, school is almost over! I'm way happy about that :)

ok, that's all for now.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

I'm sorry you all had to go through such a scary day. Glad to hear that today was better, though. Sometimes it's 2 steps forward, 1 step back, and unfortunately the steps back are usually what sticks in your mind. The theory that missing his meds caused the problems sounds very plausible to me. Try to stay optimistic, I'm here for ya!